The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Chicago District has released for public comment the draft National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) document on the potential impacts associated with improvements to the Lansing levee and Calumet City levees in Cook County, Illinois.
Virtual public meetings will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2021, for City of Calumet City residents and on Monday, Aug.16, 2021, for Village of Lansing residents. Public comments will be accepted (written and verbal) at both meetings. Members of the public can join via their internet browser at the time of the meetings by using the virtual meeting link: https://usace1.webex.com/meet/kaitlyn.e.mcclain
The proposed project would address flood risks in the village of Lansing, Illinois, and the city of Calumet City, Illinois. The proposed project includes the following measures:
- Restore the levee system within the existing alignment to the original design elevation of 597.72 ft-NAVD88 and have a 10-foot-wide crest with side slopes of 2.5:1.
- Rehabilitation of approximately 5,600 feet of earthen levee and 400 feet of sheetpile wall for Lansing, and approximately 8,500 feet of earthen levee and 900 feet of sheetpile wall for Calumet City.
- Approximately 500 cubic yards of clean clay fill will be placed on the western Calumet City levee segment, below the ordinary high water mark.
- The sheetpile floodwalls will be embedded 14-feet deep to meet USACE design standards.
- Existing sluice gates, flap gates, and culverts will be repaired as necessary.
As part of the NEPA public review process, the USACE Chicago District would appreciate any comments or concerns you might have about potential impacts to the environment from this proposed project. This could include any impacts to neighborhoods and communities, and to various habitats, threatened and endangered species, or cultural and social resources.
The report is available online on the Chicago District’s webpage at: https://www.lrc.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works-Projects/Lansing-Calumet-City/
Public comments must be received by Sept. 6, 2021. Comments can be submitted via email to Jason.J.Zylka@usace.army.mil or via postal mail to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Chicago District, ATTN: Jason Zylka (Lansing/Calumet City), 231 S. LaSalle St. (Suite 1500), Chicago, IL, 60604. Questions can also be directed to Zylka at (312) 846-5311.
Release no. 21-027