The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Chicago District, has established the Lake Michigan Regional General Permit (LMRGP) for activities located within Lake Michigan in Cook and Lake Counties, Illinois, effective October 1, 2020. The LMRGP authorizes a group of activities which would have minimal individual and cumulative impacts on aquatic resources. The purpose of the LMRGP is to provide a simplified and expeditious means for review of activities under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act that meet the specified terms and conditions of the permit.
For more information regarding the Lake Michigan Regional General Permit, please select the link below:
Activities covered under the LMRGP include the following:
- Installation, repair, and modification of permanent and seasonal piers/docks, boat ramps, boat hoists, and lifts;
- Navigational and mooring aids;
- Temporary recreational structures;
- Installation, repair, and modification of shore protection;
- Beach nourishment;
- Maintenance of existing public harbors, public access facilities, and navigational features required for maintaining existing function;
- In-water discharge of dredged material, including beneficial use of dredged material for beach nourishment, shore protection, or ecosystem restoration;
- Temporary structures and minor discharges of dredged or fill material necessary for the removal of vessels (wrecked, abandoned, or disabled) or for the removal of man-made obstructions to navigation.
NOTE: Several of the activities covered under the LMRGP would currently also qualify under other Regional Permits under the Regional Permit Program (RPP). The LMRGP contains additional general and special conditions that are not included in the RPP. Therefore, it is the decision of this office that for activities that could be authorized under either the RPP or LMRGP, the LMRGP is to be used.
Application packages can be sent to ChicagoRequests@usace.army.mil. Please do not send directly to a project manager. For submittals greater than 10MB and less than 8GB, please use the DoD SAFE (Secure Access File Exchange). Please contact us for an access code.